Nintendo Okie Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nintendo Okie Podcast - Episode 59

2 posters

Go down

Nintendo Okie Podcast - Episode 59 Empty Nintendo Okie Podcast - Episode 59

Post  Gil Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:55 am

You touched upon a very good topic in episode 59. The topic of Digital Distribution. I overall am not opposed to digital distribution even though I love having a shelf full of hard copies. There are some major problems with it in my opinion at this time. I'm sure things will change in the future but as of now here are my problems with it.

* Cost comparison of a hard copy as opposed to digital copies of the same game/media. There should be a noticeable difference in cost. Digital should be cheaper because they lack physical substance. There are no production costs for the discs, manuals, cases. There are no shipping costs either. By no means should the cost of both be identical. I'm sure this won't be a problem if we were 100% digital but it's a serious issue right now. It flat out makes no sense.
* What do you actually own? Code? There's nothing tangible to show you own anything at all. I kinda don't like that.
* You can't loan out your digital content. Well at least not like you used to. I have a pretty tight group of gaming friends and we share games often. It's nice being able to just hand someone a game and tell em to play it cause it's great. Can't do that with digital. Well you can, there just are a lot of hoops. There is no infinite sharing with digital.
* No pretty packaging. What would a collector's edition be? A game with all dlc already a part of it? That's just silly.

My suggestion would be that hard copies be considered the "collector's edition" which would be the standard $60 and come with exactly what games have now (box and all) + a digital copy. Kinda like many of the blue-ray/DVD/digital combo packs. Makes the transition from DVD - blu-ray/digital much easier. You could also buy a standard digital copy only and that would run you $45 or something like that. I think that would be a win win for everyone. I'd be in the "collector's" boat cause I like my shelf fulla crap.

What do you guys think?
Gil
Gil
Veteran
Veteran

http://mngilen.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Nintendo Okie Podcast - Episode 59 Empty Re: Nintendo Okie Podcast - Episode 59

Post  Tony Miller Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:13 am

I've said before that I like the idea of a physical copy coming with a code that allows you to download a digital copy of the game that way you get the digital portion with a physical back up. It sort of solves both issues, but at the same time you should still have the option of just buying the digital version for a lesser price.

I'm aware of the implications of owning a purely digital game, but some services like Steam do it so well that I don't really care that I don't own a physical copy. Some places, like Big Fish, will allow you to download the game and then for a fee, maybe $5.00, they'll mail you a copy of the game so that you have it as well.

The Digital future doesn't have to be scary, but there has to be one model that most people find acceptable and everyone needs to run with it. Right now Steam is the leader. They allow you to download the game as often as you want to as many PC's as you want, but you have to be logged in to play them. That's not ideal should there be issues with your internet, but it's the best solution we've seen so far.
Tony Miller
Tony Miller
Elite
Elite

http://www.nintendo-okie.com

Back to top Go down